Saturday, October 9, 2010

the value of rest

"I just got back from a cruise in the Mediterranean," the clerk confided.
"Ohh, mmm," I nodded.
"We went in to Barcelona on a Sunday."
I raised my eyebrows and smiled.
"Everything shuts down on Sundays." he added, his voice incredulous.
"Well," I countered. "God must have known what we need, when He told us to rest on the seventh day."
He nodded emphatically. "It's not religious, it's cultural," he assured me. "The whole country was out by the thousands as families. No shopping, everything was closed, but they were eating a meal with their grandchildren and sipping wine with their friends. What's wrong with us here?" he asked shaking his head sorrowfully.
"I suppose it's what we value, what we see as a priority." I offered.
It's religious and cultural.

No comments:

Post a Comment