Sunday, December 12, 2010

high and spry

I love dusky, shadowy barns, particles of hay suspended in the golden light.
Sheep make my heart beat faster. I love the sound of bells and the constant clamour of lambs calling to their mothers in the cool, mountain air.
And I love how water color can capture light like no other medium. How color mixes and runs in surprising, spontaneous ways. The hard part is knowing when enough is enough.
I had a lot of fun painting this picture because it seemed that layer after layer of color disappeared into the shadow. I think I tried almost every color in my palette, and the picture just became more and more muted. I'm sure muddy would be the technical description but it really seemed to me to capture the dimly lit interior of a barn. I read once that you have to make a thousand mistakes to become good at something, but making them can be fun too.

3 comments:

  1. That is a lovely picture. When are we starting my lessons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! New Year's resolutions are just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah!! Great minds think alike, Glenda. My husband has just finished scanning virtually the same photo taken in Scotland several years ago. I JUST said, following my discussion of YOUR love of sheep with DH, that I need that pic as I want to quilt it! I have several others too which may make a little triptych eventually. We shall see .i also have some gorgeous cow, calf, bull pics I will do eventually too.

    ReplyDelete