Friday, February 11, 2011

painted

Painted toenails are a guilty pleasure. I don't paint my fingernails, but as soon as the distant sun of spring weakly glows, I dig out my sandals and whip out the nail polish. Such colors; navy blue, chocolate brown, rhubarb pink, lipstick red, each more lovely and enticing than the last. But there is more to this ritual than self decoration. Painting my nails acts as a sort of feminine version of the Farmers Almanac. When the chill days of autumn force me into shoes and socks at last, I leave my toenail polish intact. And like crazed football fans that refuse to shave until their team wins, I refuse to remove the last coat of polish. Instead, as autumn gives way to winter and the days shorten and darken, my toenail polish is trimmed away a sliver at a time, like a seasonal measuring stick; only half an inch of winter left, now only a quarter inch til spring. It has never failed me yet. Punxsutawney Phil wishes he were as accurate. By my estimation, two more clippings and sandal weather will be here. Hurray, bring on the nail polish.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I'm having a quiet chuckle! I thought I was the only one who left their nail polish on through winter.
    My poor neglected feet can't wait for some attention & sandals!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete