Monday, March 7, 2011

soundtrack

I was a teenager in the 70's. This fact makes it all the stranger that I have been waking up with Old Standards playing merrily in my head. Momma Said There'll Be Days Like This seemed especially appropriate last week, and this morning my eyes popped open to It Had to Be You. That song isn't as romantic as you might think at first glance. I was startled into wakefulness by the confession that, "in spite of your faults, I love you still." Truth and romance are not mutually exclusive but somehow a little more flattery seems fitting.
Isn't it amazing how many lyrics are socked away in our memories just waiting to be summoned. Do you remember singing as a child? I remember my grade two teacher walking up and down the rows as we warbled, and pausing by my desk with the request that I sing a little more quietly. My best friend the little boy next door, and I were having a competition to out sing each other no doubt, but our spirited maximum volume version fell on deaf ears so to speak.
My grandson is always singing. He creates the soundtrack for the drama that unfolds as he plays. He even has a tune that I call The Sound of Danger.
Someone has said, "Music is what feelings sound like." Too true.

No comments:

Post a Comment