Monday, April 25, 2011

essence

I love this picture. It was likely taken in 1929 or 30 and is a picture of my Mother and her two sisters. I laughed out loud the first time I saw it because the expression on each little face is the essence of who they grew up to be. My Mother (in the middle) is smiling sweetly, and is a woman who can extract pleasure from the everyday. The worried toddler on the right is my gentle Aunt Dorothy. The little girl on the left is my Aunt Fran, her focus on the baby, empathy being a trait that started early apparently. I love that the little girls are perched on the railway tracks, all set for the journey of life.
I wish I knew what was in the little hobo-bag my Auntie is holding, and what colours their cloths were, and what the baby has in her hand….

No comments:

Post a Comment