Wednesday, February 8, 2012

friends in waiting

There are books in every room of my house.
They stand in stacks on the fireplace hearth and lean toward the light on side tables.
Some are old friends and some are just old.
Friends in waiting.
I idly opened one the other day and stared at the inscription on the fly leaf.
Almost one hundred years have passed since my great aunts presented it to my grandfather as a Christmas gift.
All We Like Sheep by Nellie McClung.
She was quite an author, and quite a woman.
It doesn't surprise me that my grandmother's sisters chose that book for my grandpa.
He was quite a man.

2 comments:

  1. "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends" Charles W. Eliot -on a bookmark given by a friend
    We have a series of the life of Nellie McClung...I haven't read it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for th quote! So true!
    Have you read any of her short stories? She may have originally wirtten for magazines like Montgomery. I must check into that.

    ReplyDelete