Tuesday, February 21, 2012

long bibs

Rifling through drawers lately, I came upon a bib that was once used by my grandchildren; Part of the essential meal time uniform.
Our little grandchildren have sprouted up so their shirt fronts are on their own now.
There are days though. when I could use a bib myself. Usually a white shirt day. Gravy gravitates toward spotless shirt fronts.
It reminds me of Cherry Johnston from long ago Blue River. All the children called her Grandma Johnston. She was a sort of community property.
She made soft boiled eggs for her husband Fred each morning, and served them in egg cups.
Except Sunday morning.
On Sunday morning, she prepared hard boiled eggs so that egg yolk wouldn't drip on his tie, because everyone knows that ties aren't just long bibs.

No comments:

Post a Comment