Wednesday, May 30, 2012

personal trainer

My grandson is trying to improve my physical condition. He felt that a run around the baseball diamond would be just the thing.
A ride-on mower had just hummed past as we set out.
As I gamely leapt along, over rows of dry grass clippings a movement caught my eye.
I usually scream first and then evaluate the situation, and sure enough, a giant worm was stretching and looping, its slime glistening in the bright sunlight.
My grandson pounced on it as fast as a cat.
He then set off at a trot towards the shade at the far side of the field.
He wanted to "help the worm."
Too much exercise in the sun isn't good for worms I was informed.
I know how they feel.
It gratefully disappeared into the cool earth.
I, on the other hand, continued toiling around the field under the watchful eye of my personal trainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment