Thursday, February 21, 2013

someone we know

Pets are someone we know. It sounds like a cliche but is very true nonetheless; a truth I learned in a fresh way this week.
I had started out blithely enough to make a small quilt for my niece and nephew; a portrait of their little dog Joey.
I felt fairly confident, but as the pieces of fabric came into place, and a dog face emerged, I wasn't so sure I recognized him. This is when I realized that pets, like people, are someone we know and the more we know them the more accurately they must be rendered to capture their likeness. Otherwise, it is sort of like looking at someones twin; familiar yet different.
Still, I hope this tribute to their little friend will bring them joy.

I have been trying to remember to take pictures as I work. It's fun to look at the time lapse later.
I usually start with the silhouette in a mid-value.


I thought I was adding my darks and lights but I went astray.
I didn't get the values right, so I needed to add lighter lights and darker darks.
I stitched with black thread and then white to hold the applique in place and replicate hair.
The background was quilted to look like curly hair.
This seemed like just the quilt to add to the fun linky event over at Lily Pad Quilting.
Pets on Quilts Show 2015 has a category for animal themed quilts so I've joined the fun.
 

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing the stages on this one! It's wonderful for illustrating how the image comes together. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Классная работа! Мечтаю научиться.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Someone we know"... how true Glenda! A gorgeous quilt and so fun to look at your time lapse photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so true, different expressions, especially the eyes can change everything. I like your portrait, thanks for the progress pictures it's so interesting to see it. I'm sure they'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How we see our furkids is not how others see them, so you are so true. But I love this to pieces and thank you for sharing your in-progress photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An excellent quilt for the Quilt Show....I am just amazed by your process....and the outcome is just beautiful, even if we don't know Toby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing work! What a great present for your Niece and nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work! Thanks for sowing the steps - I alwayys love seeing how things are done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is truly a lovely quilt, and so special!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh that is great - I am sure they will love it. Thanks for showing the stages you went through - very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE your doggy portrait! This is an amazing process, and I loved seeing the steps!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet portrait, I'm sure they will love it!
    ~Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was so interesting to see how it comes together! Thank you! Glad you joined our party!
    Snoodles at Lilypadquilting

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love seeing your process of making this amazing piece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool - thanks for showing how you built him up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is wonderful, Glenda. It was interesting to see how you go about making it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing work!!! This should be in an art gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it!!! Enjoyed the process photos too, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Truly amazing! I enjoyed seeing how you created your quilt too, thank you!

    ReplyDelete