Monday, March 31, 2014

one breath



How big is an egg?
I realized after posting my spotted, dotted table runner, that the eggs sprinkled here and there in the pictures could lead you astray.
I must tell you, although you may have guessed, that the white egg is an ostrich egg and the dark green one, an emu's. They truly are a splendid size.
Ostrich eggs are the equivalent of two dozen chicken eggs and generally weigh between three and five pounds. That's a lot of omelet or meringue for that matter. You could really make a sky high lemon meringue pie with an ostrich egg.
Emu eggs are the equivalent of ten to twelve eggs. Chiffon cake comes to mind or super sized scrambled eggs for a family.
The wooden eggs are fairly close to chicken egg size. I love wooden things and wooden eggs feel so wonderful in the hand.
The teeny tiny eggs are.....teeny tiny. I'm not sure who their momma was but they are so perfectly small and speckled. I keep them in a china tea cup that is egg shell thin. Seems appropriate.
I wanted to make a table runner for April that said Spring and Easter all in one breath. Charm sized polka dot fabrics had been multiplying in my stash like rabbits so I counted them up and headed to the sewing machine. I had leftovers so I decided to make the runner reversible. Most of my table runners spend at least half of their lives with the patterned side down and the backing up so I really pulled a fast one on myself this time.
The quilting is meandering lines that remind me of twisting ribbons or long blades of grass.
I had planned to bind it with an aqua dotted fabric but the navy seemed to make more of a statement.

Happy, happy Spring.

2 comments:

  1. Have you used osterich or emu eggs for cooking. Are they easy to obtain where you live?
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used Ostrich or Emu eggs. These egg shells were very empty by the time I got them. Farms here in British Columbia do have Emus occasionally and I imagine they are raised for meat. I think you would have to know someone raising Emus to get your hands on an egg which is how my parents came to have these. There is a farm just over the hill from where I live that is raising Alpacas for wool. It's a small, small world.

    ReplyDelete