Thursday, December 25, 2014

quite a crowd

Photographs can outlast memory.
I suppose that is why some of us have old black and white photos of complete strangers.
At least, they are strangers now.
Someone used to know who they were.
Someone used to be able to point and smile and nod.
Then time galloped by.
Lots of time.

I'm glad this photo made the cut when households were condensed and dispersed.
I'm glad it evaded the great Cull that happens when the baton of life is passed from one generation to the next.
Now I can let this lovely family wish you a Merry Christmas for me.
I'm pretty sure they're my relatives.
The photo belonged to my grandfather and is from the twenties or thirties.
I think it was taken in Norway.

Dozens of cousins.
Well, nine anyway.
I wish I knew them.
Aren't they dressed so smartly in their woolens?
And isn't the tree a wonder to behold?
Somewhere out there, the children of these nine children live and move and have their being.
And the grandchildren of these nine children too for that matter.
Could be quite a crowd.
There are probably enough of them to spell We Wish You A Merry Christmas And A Happy New Year, Good Tidings To You, Where Ever You Are, Good Tidings For Christmas And a Happy New Year. Fa la la la la, la la la la.......


No comments:

Post a Comment